It is mandatory to link Aadhaar with PAN as of March 31, 2023, and if this is not done, PAN will be considered 'inoperative' as of April 1, 2023. If you are eligible for Aadhaar or already have one, you must link your PAN to your Aadhaar. In this article, we will take you through the step-by-step method to check if your Aadhaar is linked with PAN and how to link them if they are not.
The deadline for linking PAN and Aadhaar has been postponed from March 31, 2022 to March 31, 2023. However, there is now a Rs. 1,000 fine for linking PAN-Aadhaar.
How to Check if Your Aadhaar is Linked to PAN?
To verify whether your PAN is linked to your Aadhaar, follow the instructions below:
- Visit the Income Tax e-filing portal: https://www.incometax.gov.in/.
- Click on the 'Link Aadhaar Status' under quick links on the homepage.
- Enter your PAN and Aadhaar number and click 'View Link Aadhaar Status.'
If your PAN and Aadhaar are already linked, a pop-up message stating "your pan already linked to adhaar" will appear on the screen.
How to Link Aadhaar with PAN?
To link your Aadhaar with your PAN, follow the instructions below:
- Go to the home page of the Income Tax e-filing portal [https://www.incometax.gov.in] and click on the 'Link Aadhaar' option in the quick links section.
- Enter your PAN and Aadhaar number, then press the 'Validate' button.
- If your PAN is already linked with Aadhaar, a pop-up message will appear that says "PAN is already linked with Aadhaar." Otherwise, a pop-up window will appear with the message "payment details not found for this PAN." Clicking "Continue to Pay Through e-Pay Tax" will take you to the next window.
- In the next window, enter your PAN, confirm PAN, and any mobile number to receive the OTP. Following OTP verification, you will be redirected to the e-Pay Tax page.
- There are three options on the e-Pay Tax page. Click "Proceed" after selecting the first option, "Income Tax."
- In the following window, select the assessment year (2023-24) and payment type as "Other Receipts (500)," then click "Continue."
- The applicable amount will be pre-filled against "Others." Select "Continue." A challan will be generated, and you must select the mode of payment on the following screen. After selecting a payment method, you will be directed to the bank's website, where you can complete the transaction.
- To pay via UPI, go to the Payment Gateway tab and select Canara Bank. You will see a window where you can select phonepe, Google Pay, or any other UPI payment option.
- After making a successful payment, return to the Income Tax e-filing portal home page and select the 'Link Aadhaar' option under quick links. Enter your PAN and Aadhaar number, then click "Validate."
- Fill in the required information and click "Link Aadhaar."
- Enter the 6-digit OTP sent to your mobile number in the previous step and click "Validate."
- A pop-up message will appear stating, "Request for Aadhaar link has been submitted successfully; now you can check the Aadhaar-PAN link status."
Linking of Aadhaar Number and PAN via SMS
The first method to link Aadhaar and PAN card involves sending an SMS to either 567678 or 56161 from your registered mobile number. You need to send an SMS in the following format: UIDPAN
If you don't know how to link your Aadhaar card with your PAN card or are experiencing difficulties in doing so, we can assist you in linking them. Please send us a message at this link: https://tawk.to/chat/638200fab0d6371309d1376c/1gipt7lt0.